Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Merry Christmas!

I had to break our Christmas blogs up a little bit. Exhaustion has set in on this Mama! This blog ended up being a mile long and has a million pictures, so good thing I divided the fun. :)

Just in case you missed some of our Pre-Christmas fun...



After Ms. Candy, Mr. Steve, and Devon left, we spent the day cleaning the house, getting laundry done, and packing our bags.  We finished everything after dinner, and we headed towards Enterprise.


Christmas seemed extra special this year. Owen was very into everything Christmas. It was also our last Christmas as a family of three! It is hard to wrap my head around the fact we will have a three year old and a 10 month old next year!

Christmas Eve morning we went to Aunt Martha's in New Brockton for a scrumptious lunch and fellowship with the Byrd side of the family.

Owen looking cool on the ride to New Brockton...



 The night of Christmas Eve we went to Uncle Matthew and Aunt Julie's. We celebrated Christmas with mom's side of the family. We all brought a dish to share, and played White Elephant. We had a blast. Always loud and entertaining. :)  Nana is doing so much better without her walker. I am so thankful for her progress!

Owen was very proud of his number.



We might have rigged the game just a little so that Owen could get this cool cup....;)


Poppy got SNOWMAN POOP!


So funny!


Owen opening his present from Aunt Bridget and Uncle David...


A Mike the Knight castle! He LOVES this thing!


Owen with two of his biggest idols....Spencer and Skyler...



We got in a little late from our Christmas Eve celebration so we did very simple cookies for Santa. I don't think Owen minded. He had lots of fun dipping/eating sugar!

Making cookies with Poppy...




MMMMM! My parents never give me this!



He loved eating straight sugar!



I laid with Owen until he fell asleep, and listened to him talk about how excited he was that Santa was "'bout to come down the chimney!". Laying with Owen until he falls asleep at night, is my favorite time of the day. He really tells me about everything he is thinking about, things that are bothering him, etc....it is our "special" time together.

Santa came while Owen was sleeping!

A dress-up chest with clothes in it and lots of other goodies!


 A teddy bear patterns book to go a long with Owen's counting bears, an abacus,  Montessori textured number, letters, and shape books, and lots of presents to open!


This stocking makes me laugh every year. Matt and I bought a jumbo stocking when I was pregnant with Owen. We thought it would just be large? When it arrived it was 3 feet long!!! Santa didn't have a problem filling it up to the top for our sweet boy, and he didn't put ANY junk food in it. (Thanks Santa!)


A balance bike and helmet...


Santa had fun playing with Owen's blocks!


Santa knew our sweet boy likes art, and got him lots of art supplies!


A book about jungle animals and a "creepy" Monkey puppet (according to Owen).


Santa ate his cookies and left Owen a letter. :)


Rudolph had to have carrots. Owen said that was all he liked, and Rudolph did not like apples. Thank Goodness Mimi and Poppy had some for the one and only Red-Nosed Reindeer!



When Owen woke up he and I jumped on the bed shouting "It's Christmas Day! It's Christmas Day! It's Christmas Day!" until Daddy got the cameras ready. I think we might make this a tradition. It was so much fun, and got him pumped and ready!

These could be my favorite pictures of Owen EVER! Aren't his expressions priceless? Now you see why this was such a special Christmas!



He kept pointing at everything...



 He wanted to try out his bike immediately. I, of course, let him fall as soon as he got on it. Mom of the year. ;)


 Time to tear into the wrapped presents!


An ABC magnetic puzzle book...


Love his face! Santa might have over-taped these presents a little!


Lacing animals! 


Pattern Blocks...

I've got this Mommy!


 The Food Group set, so he can cook in his kitchen...


Owen wanted to open a present with Daddy. He has such a kind heart, and tries to make sure neither one of us feel left out. I hope we are able to give Owen that same courtesy once Abe arrives! This present was a latches board.



The last one had to be opened in his police uniform! It was a pots and pans set for his kitchen.



Stocking time!!!!

 Owen got a lot of wheelies cars for his Little People play sets.


Santa must've known that Owen loves books.  Santa gave Owen tons and tons of books in his stocking. He also knew that Owen was about to be a Big Brother, because he gave him lots of books pertaining to having a new baby in the house.  

I have to share some of the books I just loved! I love the book "When You were Inside Mommy" that Santa gave Owen. It explains being pregnant, going into labor, and giving birth in just enough details for Owen's inquisitive mind.  

I also love the Dr. Sears "What Baby Needs" book that was included in Owen's stocking. It shows pictures of breast-feeding, holding the baby skin-to-skin, co-sleeping etc...and explains why baby needs those things and what Owen can do while Abe is doing those things. 

It also has a nice page for parents with things I never thought about. For instance, over using the term "Big Brother" can actually make toddlers revert more because they see nothing fun about being big, and the "Little" brother gets all of the privileges...etc. Another one was validating the child's feelings....if they say things such as I "hate" the baby. Rather than saying "No, you don't!". Tell them you understand it has to be very frustrating to see Mommy with the baby so much. I know sometimes as an adult I just need words of validation, rather than "advice". I don't know what would make a toddler any different! I hate following "books" and tend to follow my instincts instead. No "expert" or author knows my child and what he needs more than I do, but I found those two bits of advice to be very helpful!


Owen got three movies in his stocking. The Letter Factory, A Turtle's Tale, and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. He is no longer allowed to watch Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs because it taught him to say he hates things or people....that movie is now put away.  Luckily, he hasn't said it since Christmas Day, so I think he forgot. It was a good reminder of how I need to censor those things first. At this point, I don't plan on letting Owen watch PG-13 until he is 13 and I have viewed it first...etc...but I didn't think anything about a kid's movie.


Owen also got lots of hands-on educational materials to use as he is developmentally ready and interested. Mommy's favorite were the sandpaper letter and number cards.


Time to play!!!!






Owen checking out his letter from Santa, and having a little breakfast break.


Cinnamon Roll on Christmas morning! I am pretty sure he thought he died and went to heaven!


Owen couldn't wait to give Matt and I our presents from him.

Owen wrapped Daddy's present ALLLLL by himself! He only used half a roll of tape. :)




Owen also picked out the present by himself. Dinosaurs!!!! Isn't that what you've always wanted Daddy?!?!


Owen and Abe gave me beads to go on my Brighton bracelet that Matt got me when Owen was born. They are Owen's and Abe's birthstone. SOO special!





We tried to get Owen to take a nap....wasn't happening! :)

Gangan and Pappy came over for lunch and we did  Christmas with Dad's side of the family. We were so happy to have Gangan with us this year!!! Last year she spent Christmas in the ICU.

Cool magnet robots!


I love Gangan and Pappy's expressions in these!




Owen loved helping everyone open presents!








Then my little one, shed his clothes.....



All these toys, and he wants the bubble wrap...




Goober!






I promise he eats like a horse! Skinny thing!




Riding his bike and motorcycle outside...





Owen wanted Daddy to dress up as a football player, too!


Our Owen  LOVES to dress up!

The Baker...


The cowboy...


The vet.... (but he thinks he is a chiropractor, because the shot makes a clicking  noise like our chiropractors activator)



We had such a fun Christmas. Our family has so much to be thankful for! We are very blessed.



We pray that you had a very very Merry Christmas!