Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A look back on Owen's FIRST Birthday Party....

Owen's first birthday party pictures were temporarily "lost". I just found them, and thought it was the perfect time to share them on my blog! I hope to put his second birthday pictures up this week.



We had a big Sock Monkey Throw Down for Owen's first birthday. It was very stressful fun! I wanted Owen to have the best first birthday party possible. I am a little biased and think know Owen is the most precious/amazing/smartest child that has ever lived. You know...he is the best at everything, cutest child ever, needs the best of everything, and definitely needed a HUGE first birthday bash, right? (even if he already doesn't remember it) I spent hours putting stuff together, cutting things out, gluing, and went through 100 notebooks writing out "plans". I think I put more thought into Owen's first birthday party then I did my wedding. I mean doesn't everyone need a 3-demensional smash cake for their first birthday?


I remember the day like it was yesterday. I was still crying because my baby had turned one. I was also crying because guests would be arriving in 15 minutes, I hadn't had a shower, was still hanging this banner, and Party City lost our balloons.


We rented the Homewood Senior Center for Owen's shindig. It was the perfect little spot.


Matt saved the day and found the balloons. I really should take a moment to thank my hubby for putting up with me on the morning of Owen's birthday party. :)



I can't believe how much my baby has grown since his first birthday. What a blessing he is!!!! Look at these sweet feet!


The first thing guests saw when arriving to Owen's party was the Memory Table. I cried the whole time I set it up. I put several sentimental outfits out for display. (his dedication gown, coming home outfit, outfits he wore in the hospital, his hospital hat and shirt...etc) There was a "Time Capsule" for guests to leave their fondest memory of Owen's first year. We used the Dr. Seuss Happy Birthday Book as Owen's guestbook. I am so glad we did that. It brings back such great memories every time we read it. :)





There was also a picture tree with some of my favorite pictures from Owen's first year at the memory table...


We served a fun monkey lunch for our sweet guests.


We had "Monkey See, Monkey Do, Make your own sandwiches"...


...Chips, Potato Salad, Cucumber Salad...


..."Lil' Monkey Turkey and Cheese", Cheddar Krunchies for the baby monkeys...


....Bananas (of course...what is a monkey party without BANANAS!), chocolate filled raspberries, "Ants on a log", and applesauce....


..."Monkey Vines" and "Monkey Bars"...


...and a "Fill a box with your own little monkey mix" station. We had goldfish, animal crackers, several kinds of puffs, and graham crackers to fill those little boxes up. :)


The cupcake/smash cake display...



Owen's banner with pictures from birth and each month leading to his first birthday...


Ice cream floats...


The gift section with all of Owen's gifts from his sweet friends....(Thank you to our sweet sock monkey for holding up the "Gifts" sign)



We had a "Scoop up some treats" table for Owen's guests to fill up a favor bag on their way home.



I loved the favor bags. They were hand stamped with sock monkeys in a wagon and the words "Happy Birthday Owen" on them. You can see a little bit of the bag in the picture below. There were Candy Sticks, Chocolate Balls, Suckers, Gumballs, Pinwheels, Kit-Kats, Crazy Straws, M&M's, Chocolate covered Marshmallows, Bubbles....


..."Monkey Vines" (twizzlers), Chocolate covered pretzels, Sock Monkey Shaped Gummies, Pixi-Stix, Rock Candy Sticks, Tootsie Rolls, and Bouncy Balls up for grabs. :)


The "Little Monkeys" loved the ball pit! They had so much fun playing! Look at that sweet baby face...I could EAT it!





Sweet Kate G. ....


My oh My Anna Scott how you have GROWN!


Sophie! I love her sweet always so expressive face!


Beautiful Kate O. being a little shy...


Precious Dutch/Mr. Personality...



And now for the picture overload....

Owen in his bow tie and diaper cover, ready for his SMASH cake!


"I will not wear this hat!"




Time to sing Happy Birthday...


"What is wrong with you people?!?!"


"For Me?!!"


"What do I do with this?"


Owen didn't care too much for his cake. He did try it though.








One of my favorites! I love his concentrating look...



Sweet Chocolate Hands...


"I've decapitated this monkey and I am DONE!"


Enjoying a sucker after all of his friends left...


We had so much fun at Owen's first birthday party. Looking back, it is AMAZING how much he has grown this past year. Children grow up too fast. If only we could keep him little forever...

Stay tuned for his second birthday party post! It was nearly as extravagant, but it was so much fun! :)