Thursday, January 21, 2016

Abe's First Birthday!

One day I will catch up on blogging....one day!
I want to have these sweet memories to look back on and I love that I can print my blog into books. My blog books are such a sweet family keepsake! I am making a goal to get caught up this year. :)

So without further ado, I decided to finally write Abe's first birthday blog!

Sweet baby boy grew SO fast!!!!

 
So part of the reason this blog is so late, is because it brings back some painful memories. Abraham's first birthday was quite eventful. Not too long after this picture I took his temperature, because he wasn't acting right. His temp was well over 105. 



I called the doctor, and he asked us to bring Abe in immediately. He tested positive for strep throat, but Dr. Wurm wasn't convinced that was all that was wrong. Apparently, strep throat in a younger child is rare and usually they don't have many complications. Dr. Wurm said he was going to run lots of tests and was going to try to keep us out of the hospital. Nurse Dana attempted to do a catheter to get a fresh urine catch in the office. After SIX...yes SIX attempts Nurse Dana gave up and decided to put a bag on him and settle for that instead. She was able to get the catheter in every time, but couldn't  get anything out. Nurse Dana told us she just couldn't do this to him anymore. . At this point I was crying harder than Abe. I felt so bad my poor baby was going through this on his very first birthday. (and that I just had to hold him down to have a catheter attempt 6 times...it was rough)

We were sent to Ocean Springs hospital for an X-Ray of his lungs. They had to put him inside of a pig-o-stat. Google it...  I promise he was NOT happy like the chubby baby you will see in pictures. It was quite traumatic. After X-Rays, we went to the lab and had blood drawn out of his little arms. Everything ended up coming back okay, and Dr. Wurm sent us home and asked us to come back first thing in the morning.

What a scare...and a horrible day for all of us! I have never cried so hard or felt so sick in my life.  I am praying birthday number 2 is a little less eventful! I will never forget that day. Fortunately, my sweet Abe has already forgotten it...I am sure! While it was a rough day, we were grateful that our baby boy was okay!

Our fun birthday plans of going to the zoo were replaced with yucky pokes, pricks, and tears.  Luckily, Abe started to feel a little better that night. He had birthday pancakes for dinner and a cupcake. It was the least we could do for our sweet little munchkin!




Although his eyes looked a little weak, Abe smiled and enjoyed his cupcake.




He even played a little peek-a-boo!


...and opened presents (after a bath!)...


We had a week of rest and had Abe's First Birthday party the weekend after his birthday!
Stay tuned for that post!
 
Happy First Birthday Abraham! Your first year of life went by faster than I could have ever imagined. I love your spunky personality, your big grin, and silly laugh! I love how mischievous you are, and how you are just the perfect little fit for our family! 

If I promise not to blink next year, will you stay little a little longer?
 


 





Oh what I would give to squeeze those sweet baby rolls just one more time! :)